The MPA programs conduct an annual survey of current students in and graduates of the MPA in Public Policy and Administration (MPA-PPA) and the MPA in Inspection and Oversight (MPA-IO) including students in the MPA-IO Advanced Certificate in Forensic Accounting and MPA students in the single MPA program before the program was split. The survey is designed to serve a set of purposes, and therefore we combined them into one survey to save students time and effort. The results are in.
The survey is conducted for the following purposes:
The purposes include:
- gathering information for MPA accreditation
- determining what advising needs students have
- gathering employment and career planning information for the new career counselor
- assessing interest in January Workshops
- evaluating the Differential Tuition projects thus far
- soliciting advice about additional Differential Tuition projects, and
- information about online courses we should offer.
This is an important survey and we thank all of the MPA students who took time to complete it.
The following are some of the findings:
- 46% of MPA students majored in public administration or criminal justice.
- 11% majored in accounting or business.
- 73% live in New York City.
- 60% complete primarily attend on weekday evenings.
- 13% attend on Saturdays.
- 20% attend fully online.
- 9% are not currently employed.
- 46% of students are completing the MPA in Public Policy and Administration (MPA-PPA).
- 39% are completing the MPA in Inspection and Oversight (MPA-IO).
- The most popular MPA-PPA specializations are Human resources Management and Management/Operations.
- The most popular MPA-IO specialization is Investigation and Operational Inspection.
- 61% of students have not completed an internship and another 30% have completed on as an undergraduate.
- The most popular Differential Tuition programs are financial support, loaner textbooks, and career services.
- 57% support the current level of Differential Tuition Support funding and 36% would like to see it increased.
The complete survey is available here: MPA Comprehensive Survey 2016.